Monster Shark Tournament
July 12th – 15th, 2018
New Bedford, MA
The Monster Shark Tournament is a non-profit event dedicated to promoting, the science and education required to maintain the balance and perpetual sustainability of our marine fisheries, as well as, to protect fishermen against any further infringements of our rights to fish.
Proceeds from our past events have been donated to organizations including:
- The Steve James Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Greg Skomal, and the Massachusetts Shark Research Program
- The Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association
- The School for Marine Science & Technology
- The Recreation Fishing Alliance
Calendar of Events:
Thursday July 12th:
- MST Captain’s Meeting, begins at 4pm at Standard Marine Outfitters with food provided by Fathoms Bar & Grille, on Pope Island. Your crew can register for the tournament at the meeting, and also enter Calcutta added entry division categories for even bigger cash payouts. Tournament rules will be discussed at the meeting and Capt’s Buckets will be given out.
Friday July 13th:
- Fishing Begins at 6am, no lines, bait or chum may be in the water before this time. -There is no “lines out” time for Friday.
- The 2018 MST Weigh Station will be located on State Pier 3, in New Bedford, MA. and will be open from 4pm-8pm Friday afternoon. The public is encouraged to attend the family friendly atmosphere of the weigh-ins, so bring the kiddos down for an unforgettable and educational afternoon learning about these amazing pelagic species.
Saturday July 14th:
- Fishing concludes at 3pm.
- Weigh Station hours for Saturday will be from 3pm-6pm.
- The MST Awards Banquet begins at 6:30pm under the tent at Popes Island Marina. The 2018 MST champion will be crowned, and other annual prizes will be awarded. Raffles this year will amazing as always. Meanwhile the band Whiskey Affair will rock the night once again, as the MST gets our groove on Saturday night. For those that do not wish to fish but still want to join the party, additional banquet tickets can be purchased for $75.00 each at the Capt’s Meeting or at sharksfundfishing.com
Sunday July 15th:
- The event concludes with the MST Farewell Bloody Mary / Spiked Coffee Party at Pope Island Marina beginning at 10am.
- The entry fee for the 2018 Monster Shark Tournament is $1099.00, however we are now a non-profit, so $899.00 of your entry fee can now be claimed as a tax deduction.